What people are saying...
"Kristy's support to students through her seminar at USC and her book has helped me stay relaxed and focused during my first few months of University. I encourage all students to attend and get a copy of the book before starting Uni."
Nathan A, Student, University of the Sunshine Coast
If you want to feel better, think better, and do better in your studies, then create a little Head Space for yourself!
Are YOU Ready For a Happier 'Head Space'?
Mindful study is the golden key to...
'Head Space' uses quick, easy and effective mind management techniques you can integrate into your daily life RIGHT NOW and join the Mindfulness Education Movement (MEM) for a happier head space all around!
FREE MEDITATION DOWNLOADS !
FOR EXCLUSIVE ACCESS TO OUR LOCKED VIRTUAL CLASSROOM
Simply fill out the form to the right and we will send you the password to get FREE MEDITATION DOWNLOADS to play on your smartphone or computer and get a happier head space anytime, anywhere!
Art by Nicole Verwey-Baker, Recycled Paper Collage on Canvas.
Benefit of a Happier Head Space?
Recent studies show that just 10 minutes of non-sequential, regular meditation each day helps a person to return their body to a state of homoeostasis. There are numerous physical, mental and emotional benefits of practicing meditation. Some are:
- Strengthens and thickens the cerebral cortex. It creates more and more neural pathways between the brain hemispheres increasing a person’s capacity for utilisation of both sides of the brain in harmony, ie… increases our learning capacity and MAKES US SMARTER!
- Regulates brainwaves and brings us out of Beta into Alpha state, a highly receptive and expansive state where increased learning, memory retention, clarity and creativity occurs.
- Increases release of stress reducing hormones such as serotonin and dopamine.
- Reduces the heart rate and blood pressure, reducing the load on the heart
- Slows breathing and increases oxygen uptake to the cells
- Reduces physical pain and tension
- Develops the creative mind and imagination
- Calms the mind and emotions
- Enhances creativity, memory, concentration, clarity and intellect
- Improves general health & wellbeing
- Reduces and manages stress
- Improves communication and productivity
- Provides greater capacity for complex conceptual understanding and problem solving
ARE YOU AN ADULT STUDENT?
Head Space is for YOU!!
"I know how hard it can be to juggle study on top of kids, making dinner, school runs, relationships, a social life, financies and all the things in between! This
book will help you maximise your time and your mind so that you can work SMARTER not
harder AND preserve some quality of life for yourself whilst your nose
is in the books!"
Kristy Lee Rackham, Head Space Author
Take the Stress out of Study!
Mindful Meditation is a practise which allows us to become aware of our inner processes and behaviours. We can observe our thoughts, words, actions and feelings in the 'here and now', with non-judgement, curiosity and kindness. From a position of gentle but heightened awareness, we are then empowered to choose behaviours that are self sustaining and positive for our future.
Mindfulness gives us the ability to clear the clutter of our mind and to experience greater control, peace and personal power. Once the 'white noise' of our monkey-mind has dissipated, we can then employ another extremely beneficial method of meditation - Creative Visualisation - to 're-set' our mind and 're-program' our intention for a positive, joyous, peaceful and adventurous future.
The benefit of meditation beyond its traditional scope in philosophy and religion is also being recognized, accepted and included in many secular institutions including banks, universities, schools, fitness facilities, corporations, psychology and general medical practice, plus many more industries.
The capacities and benefits of adding Meditation into activities of daily living as a valuable component of a healthful lifestyle are now being acknowledged and proven by science. In particular, much effort has been put into researching how mindfulness and creative visualisation affects students and teachers. Many are now adopting and expanding upon this progressive trend towards a mindful approach to life both in and outside the classroom. The movement towards awareness in education has been coined the "Mindfulness Education Movement" or M.E.M. by Author, Kristy Lee Rackham.
There are solid reasons for in including meditation as part of a well-rounded and harmonious home, and in the schools of our children. The most recent National Health Survey data (ABS, 2007-08) identified that:
- 26% (over 1/4) of all young people between the age of 16 and 24 have a mental health disorder.
- The prevalence of teens suffering with depression is around 14% and climbing each year.
- The single most quoted issue at school as identified by the kids themselves is STRESS.
- 2/3 of all visits to Australian GPs are stress related.
- Approximately HALF of all Australians aged 16-85 years (7.3 million people) will at some point in their lifetime, experience at least one mental disorder.
TRY THIS MINI-MEDITATION
Allow your breathing to become quiet and flow at its own natural rhythm. Now… bring your attention into your chest. Follow the breath as it flows in and out of your lungs. With each breath, imagine a beautiful radiant light is filling your heart with source energy. As your heart glows with this energy, you notice a deep peace begin to enfold you. Look into your heart now. In its centre you perceive a tiny, but brilliant star. This is the core of your being, the place where infinite potential resides, the seat and voice of your authentic being. Keep breathing into your heart centre and notice how peaceful you are becoming, how still and quiet your mind is. When you feel ready, ask a question of your divine spark at the centre of your heart. Wait with your attention focused gently on your breath. A word, sentence, feeling, or perhaps an actual voice speaking to you will return an answer. Do not ‘try’ to hear. Just wait patiently and listen. The answer will come. Trust your inner voice to know what you need and want at this time.
The mini meditations can be used as 'triggers' to prime your mind... to find out more about priming click here to purchase Head Space in paperback or download the e-book.
All content in this website www.headspacebook.com is protected by copyright, 2012. All concept ual and intellectual material, and any related information, design and documentation contained herein is the sole property of Kristy L Rackham. All rights reserved. Original illustrations, artwork and images contained herein is the sole property of Nicole Verwey-Baker. All rights reserved. Photographs used on this website have been placed with the express permission of the image owners. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means or stored in a retrieval system, online or otherwise, without prior written consent by the copyright owners. Printed in Queensland, Australia. Please contact the author directly for more information at www.headspacebook.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, +61-(0)487-769-629
Written and developed by Kristy L Rackham, Copyright © 2007-2012
Illustrated by Nicole Verwey-Baker, Copyright © 2009-2012
First Published by Kristy L Rackham, 2010